Welcome to Moped Luau!!

Aloha!! Welcome to Moped Luau!! A blog devoted to Two-Stroke mopeds and scooters. On da menu: Puch mopeds with side order Hondas, Vespas, Yamahas, and whatevah else that go braaaaap. Get some grindz and feed your Two-Stroke face.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Aloha from Hawaii

Moped Luau would like to officially welcome all of you to Hawaii!!




After 5 years two-strokin' the wrong side of the streets of Japan, Moped Luau is finally back home!! Although the concept of Moped Luau was born in Japan, Hawaii is where it is rooted.  For those old or new to this blog, here's a recap of all the happenings since I left Japan:

Last post had my Maxi packed in a crate ready for its long bon voyage trip across the Pacific Ocean. From then to now, it's been a crazy three months of moving and re-adjusting back to Island life Traffic is even worst than ever and cost of living has skyrocketed.  On the bright side, I got my garage and full sell of tools back!!  Good news for my moped modifying efforts.  First on the agenda was to fish out my various mopeds scattered across the island in storage.


1) 1987 Honda Elite E

I gave this moped to my cousin to hold when I left.  It basically sat in his outside storage for the past 5 years.  I don't think he ever rode it since I left.  It still was in great shape. Just a little paint fade, flat tires, and a crack sideview mirror. Other than that it was fine.  I took it home, drained the gas, changed the fuel line, wiped it down a little, cleaned the air filter, pumped the tires, put some gas, and vrooooom.  Started on the first crank. This moped has always been super reliable. All the way back since my college days (15+ years), I didn't have problems with this bike. I had it sitting once for 7 years on the side of my house. All I did was rebuilt the motor and crank it, vroooom. Started up no problem.

I actually got big plans for this moped. I had the opportunity to bring back some parts for it such as a DJ-1R tail light set, headlight set, and under cowl. I also brought back a Dio ZX front end with rim for a disc brake conversion and a Metropolitan rear wheel. Current specs: SA50 motor, 70cc cylinder (brand?), 28mm Kehin Carb, Arrow pipe, stock gears.

Old School

2) 1980 Puch Magnum MK II

I stored this at my wife's grandmothers house. This was my last project bike before I left the Island. I never ran it. I put it together and then wrapped it up in a drop cloth and tarp and left it on the side of the house. I never saw it for the past 5 years!! It was like Christmas when I unwrapped it. This is my favorite moped among all my mopeds. I regret not bringing this bike to Japan. I was expecting a faded and rusted bike since it was exposed to the elements for so long. To my suprised it was perfectly preserved. The paint, chrome, and motor look as how I left it. It was just dirty from the deteriorated tarp. Other than that it was great! I was stoked! Threw it in the truck and hauled it back to the garage.

I'm gonna rebuild the motor of this bike. I'm worried I was rushed the build since I was under a time crunch of leaving. I'm gonna double check the tolerances. I don't think its correct since I installed a Metra Kit roller bearing crank rod on it and just slapped it back together. I'm excited to use this bike as my daily driver. I really wanna feel how a ZA50 80cc big port Metra Kit performs. The transfers are huge!! I plan to do the works to this bike like electronic ignition system, turn signals, and disc brakes. Current specs: ZA50 motor, 80cc big port Metra Kit, 21mm Dellorto, stock clutches, 28mm pipe.



3) 1980 Puch Maxi S Frame (Blue)

This bike was my "show" bike. I custom painted it and installed all my chrome parts on it. I built it to look semi original with the original upright stance. I originally had the motor, electrical, and rims that I was running on my Japan Maxi on this bike. I stripped those parts and imported it to Japan for some Gila fun. Thats why it is reduced to just the frame, fender, shocks, etc. This bike was stored at my parents house.

Not sure where I'm headed with this build. I think I'm gonna try to make it as original as possible. I'm gonna install spoke rims and pedals. The only thing modified but old school will be the 70cc Autisa kit I install. I always wanted to run a ZA50 Autisa kit ever since I got into Puchs. Those kits were so hard to come by but I managed to snag one off Moped Army. I rode this set up back in the day and they were fast. This bike will be a nostalgic bike. Current specs: None


One month in from arriving back, my storage stuff came in. This was stuff I had in commercial storage for the past 5 years. There were two of my bikes: A 1980 Vespa 200PE and a 1980 Puch Maxi S. I was eagar to see there conditions.


4) 1980 Vespa 200PE

Again, to my suprise the bikes were perfectly preserved. No new rust, dents, or scratches. It's like ther were left in cryogenic suspended animation. I was really pleased with the storage service. I always wanted a Vespa. And Vespas are really hard to come by in Hawaii. I saw this one on Criagslist a while back and I snatched it up.

Plans for this bike is a new paint job and modify engine. But this project will be in the way back back back burner. Current specs: Stock







5) 1980 Puch Maxi S (Red)

This bike was my cousins original bike. It's painted candy red and the paint job is still holding up. That's almost a 20 year old paint job!! The chrome parts are that old too. And they look great. This is a typical Hawaiian old school modified Puch Maxi. They would cut the fender in order to put the Magnum swingarm and bigger back tire. It also gave it stability with it stretched. They would also cut the fork and springs to lower the stance. They never ran pedals and always ran drop handlebars. Throw in star rims, L-ring magnum bore, and 18x32 gearing on a ZA50 motor, that's the typical Hawaiian style cafe racer. Fast and easy to fix.

I plan to keep this bike an old school Hawaiian style cafe racer. I'm gonna keep the entire set up. Just clean up the build a little. One of the best bikes I ever rode was a L-ring Magnum bore set up. I think that bike could kick any bike's butt around now including kitted bikes!! I will try to replicate that bike with this build. Current specs: ZA50 motor, L-ring Magnum bore cylinder, modified clutches, Bing 17mm, modified Magnum pipe

Old School Fosho

6) 1980 Puch Maxi S "Japan Maxi" (Black)

Last month, my Japan stuff finally arrived. With it was my Japam Maxi. The movers did a great job packing it. No damages. I was eager to ride it again. I refilled it with fluids and was on my way. I took it to an old school Toyota Corolla meet near my house. I was eager to announce Puchs was back in Hawaii. On my way back, it started running a little funny. Right when I turned it off I felt the magneto lock up. To my horror, some magnets from my Powerdynamo magneto got dislodged. I opened the magneto and discovered three magnets were destroyed. This ended my Japan bike.

Not sure what I'm gonna do with this bike. I have one too many Maxi S's. I'm might leave the Gila set up with this bike but not sure. I like to keep the frame scheme it looks kind of rat roddish. I'm gonna shelve this bike for now. Yup shelve a Gila setup. Haha!! Current specs: ZA50 motor, Gilardoni cylinder, Powerdynamo, Techno Estoril pipe

Lone Wolf

7) (Year ?) Puch Pinto

I also have a Puch Pinto frame and gas tank in my storage. I bought it from Moped Army and been waiting to come back to my garage to build it. Plans for this build is a sleek sprinter style. Not sure on the motor set up. I got a E50 Polini TM24 Mikuni I'm working on. I might use that. Current specs: None


Well thats a recap on Moped Luau business. I hope you all continue to follow this blog. Now that I have all my bikes, parts, tools, and garage, I plan on having more post, pics, and videos of my moped life.





So stay tuned...

       Aloha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment