Welcome to Moped Luau!!

Aloha!! Welcome to Moped Luau!! A blog devoted to Two-Stroke mopeds and scooters. On da menu: Puch mopeds with side order Hondas, Vespas, Yamahas, and whatevah else that go braaaaap. Get some grindz and feed your Two-Stroke face.

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Powerdynamo Woes

I destroyed my Powerdynamo magneto a couple of months ago while riding. Not sure what happened. Three magnets came off and got crumbled. I suspect either my magneto go so hot that it melted the magnet's adhesion (unlikely) or for some reason my crack tolerances were off that caused the magneto to spin off centered and clip the magnets onto the ignition (more likely). In either case, it got f#cked!!

3 magnets missing
Formally 3 magnets


I didn't want to buy a new magneto so I emailed Powerdynamo to see what my options are. Surprisingly, they responded with solutions. Here are my correspondences with them to resolve this issue:

Ticket #XXX763
Ticket Status: open
Department: Support / Hilfe
Create Date: 08/11/2014 8:07 am
Name: gza710
Email: gza710@XXX.com
Phone:
Subject/Betreff: Magneto magnets
Ticket Thread / Faden

Mon, Aug 11 2014 8:07am
Sirs/maam
I have a powerdynamo cdi system for my Puch Maxi ZA50 model. Three magnets from the magneto came off while I was running it and was destroyed. Do you have replacement magnets? Or how could I repair it?
Thank you
gza710

Mon, Aug 11 2014 11:11am - Admin Admin
hello gza710,
in most cases of destroyed magnets there is also damage to the stator coil. please carefully check the stator. if there are more than one magnet off, you can not repair yourself as there is a special sequence of magnets. they are not all same. you will have to replace the rotor. what system number is this? if you do not know, is the crank turning clockwise or anticlockwise (1 or 2 speed moped)?
edgar

Thu, Aug 14 2014 11:59pm
Hello Edgar,
I have a powerdynamo cdi system for my Puch Maxi 2 speed model #71 16 799 AC. My stator seem to be OK. Do you have replacement magnets I can repair myself?

Fri, Aug 15 2014 10:26am - Admin Admin
well, as mentioned, doing this yourself is no good idea, but if you insist. what magnets are concerned? please photograph as in picture so that one c an see the reference hole.
regards, edgar

Follow this

Fri, Aug 15 2014 11:10am - Admin Admin
gza710,
i just noticed that due to a bug in our system you might have got an empty mail. in the system however all is ok to see, picture including for how to tell what magnets are needed. (see above)
edgar

Fri, Aug 15 2014 10:18pm
Thank you for the responses. See attached pic. Please let me know if you are able to get attachment.

Sat, Aug 16 2014 8:31am - Admin Admin
ok,
you need 3 different magnets they need to be glued in in a specific sequence (i will indicate this) and the have to be absolutely in same distance to each other and next. if not you get ignition problems. where in the world are you?
edgar

Sat, Aug 16 2014 8:53am
Thank you
I'm in Hawaii, USA
Address:
94-XXXX XXXX Street
XXX, Hawaii 96XXX
USA
My name is gza710

Mon, Aug 18 2014 9:53am - Admin Admin
ok gza710,
i have packed 3 magnets very carefully. first in metallic shielding, than tight plastic and inside a padded envelope in ordinary post. i am still skeptic. this is highly magnetic and quite fragile. there are 3 magnets. one of them is actually non magnetic. this one has to be glued in the middle position of your missing 3 magnets. the other 2 are identical. you need to space them very evenly! make yourself some wooden spacer to do this.
regards, edgar


The magnets arrived internationally free of charge!! They hooked me up!! Great customer service.

Express from Dutchland
Ready for repair

Followed their directions and glue the new magnets on. I used Loctite 602 glue. I claims can withstand high temps and water. Will see...

Point gap gauge for spacer

Glued

Unfortunately one of the magnets dislodged during testing. I emailed Powerdynamo again and another quick response:

Mon, Sep 8 2014 10:53pm
Edgar,
Greetings. The magnets arrived safety. I installed them using your advice. I started it up and it worked. Unfortunately, the non-magnetic magnet got dislodged again and was destroyed. I dont think i tightly glued it on correctly. Could you please send me one more non-magnetic magnet. I would like to try again. If this fails, I'm gonna buy an new magneto.
Thanks again for all your help,
gza710

Wed, Sep 10 2014 2:43pm - Admin Admin
gza710,
i am glad that the magnets arrived in first place. sending magnetic material is tricky. we send you a non magnet by post.
edgar


This time I scored the magneto side for more adhesion:

Scored
Redo!!

It went on fine. Like Eager eluded to is that magnets simply don't fly off. It's probably an alignment problem with my crank due to worn bearings, seals, shims, etc. I would have to address these problems first before running this setup again. Fortunately, I moved this ignition setup to my MetraKit motor which was just rebuilt. So, I will monitor if I have further magnet failures in the future. Will keep you informed.

2 comments:

  1. Hey just visiting Hawaii, and haven't seen a single moped but scooters, we will be here for a week, shoot me an email dodge33l@ygmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, scooters rule here. There is only a few of us left and we rarely take them out for a spin. Hoping to change that but too busy these days. Check out this shop: Minnow Motor Works in Kakaako (near the Porsche dealership). He fixes Puchs!!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment