Welcome to Moped Luau!!

Aloha!! Welcome to Moped Luau!! A blog devoted to Two-Stroke mopeds and scooters. On da menu: Puch mopeds with side order Hondas, Vespas, Yamahas, and whatevah else that go braaaaap. Get some grindz and feed your Two-Stroke face.

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Puch No. 5 Update

Started to work on Puch No. 5 power plant.  It's the ZA50 setup that I was blasting all of Japan with.  Check out some of my Japan adventures here.  Did the initial tear down to assess the damages:

 To my surprise the top half was near mint!
Barely any scratches on the piston.  Only small scuffing on the exhaust side.
The cylinder was almost new!!  Not one scratch!!


I bought this Gila kit from Got Rigid? a long time ago.  I think he had one of the very first Gila kits even before Treats were carrying them.  Not sure if the theory of earlier Polini kits being cast better so it can handle more heat applies to Gila's but this kit has been indestructible.  I pushed this setup to the max in Japan.

Here's a little secret with this build...I been running this setup without any weld build up to the sides of the bottom half of the motor.  I barely matched ported the cylinder to the block.  Never sprang a leak or had any compression problems.  I just used a paper base gasket.  Check it out:
Can you say knife edge!!
Also, no roller bearing conrod.  Stock crank!!


Not sure if I was just lucky but the next build up I will be bulletproofing this motor with all the right goods.

All good!!
Here is a pic of my modded clutches I did here.  As you can see they are still in tack!!  Holding up well. The only difference I'm going to do is flip the second gear back to stock because it felt like it was holding too long with the 20# blue tomos spring.

Stay tuned as I continue working on this project..

Happy Tuning!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment