Welcome to Moped Luau!!

Aloha!! Welcome to Moped Luau!! A blog devoted to Two-Stroke mopeds and scooters. On da menu: Puch mopeds with side order Hondas, Vespas, Yamahas, and whatevah else that go braaaaap. Get some grindz and feed your Two-Stroke face.

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Treats Clutch: Worked

I always found the "Treats" version of ZA50 clutches not comparable as far as performance to a pair of well modified stock ZA50 clutches. I think the main reason for this is that the Treats clutches are too heavy and even the Malossi replacement springs can't overcome the weight. Inspired by a thread on Moped Army, I lightened both my clutches for my MetraKit Big Port Magnum project:


1st Gear stock weight
2nd Gear stock weight
I drilled six 4mm dia holes per shoe for the 1st Gear. Knocked off about 30 grams total of centrifugal weight.

1st Gear lightened
Installed the stiffest spring that comes with the Malossi replacement set and oriented the shoes in the "flipped" direction.

1st Gear stiff and flipped
This side towards the inside.
I went five 4mm holes per shoe on the 2nd Gear clutch.  A result of 25 gram total lightening.

2nd Gear lightened
I went with the second stiffest spring set from Malossi.  Again its oriented for a "flipped" direction.

Lightened and flipped.
Lightened and stiffer.
Flipped second.
Flipped first.
Stay tuned for performance reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment