Welcome to Moped Luau!!

Aloha!! Welcome to Moped Luau!! A blog devoted to Two-Stroke mopeds and scooters. On da menu: Puch mopeds with side order Hondas, Vespas, Yamahas, and whatevah else that go braaaaap. Get some grindz and feed your Two-Stroke face.

Monday, March 14, 2016

Blast From The Past: Failed E50 Metra Build

I'm still here.  Been posting on Instagram lately @mopedluau.  Just a lazy way to blog I suppose.  But this Blog is still the best place to get info for all things Puch.



Anyway, I dug this out of my archive of pics.  It is my failed attempt of building a E50 Metra Big Port motor.  I feel its also good to share my failures for the community to learn from and hopefully not repeat them.

I tried to use a E50 from a Puch Murray(?).  Some differences with the Murray motor versus the regular E50 I noticed was the main gear, clutch, and sprocket arrangement.  I ported the crap out of it and used a crap load of JB Weld as the filler versus welding.

Giant ports
Murray E50?
Square clutch cover
Ports plus JB Weld filler


Wrinkle finish paint job


Clutch side
Polished cover
Metra mounted



Fail so good
Ready to fail

Looked like it would work
Nice if it did work




















Lessons Learned:

1)  Initially the JB Weld held.  Looked solid but I think eventually it would crack and fail.  I definitely chose to weld build up than JB Weld from the motors I build from then on.  JB Weld is ok for small holes or fill but not to provide a support structure for the bottom and top end of the motor.  I think others have tried with some success but I would spend the money to get it welded than on tubes of JB Weld.

2)  I think I over ported the transfers.  It seemed when I was trying to start it that it was lacking the vacuum to draw the gasses through.  Even thought the Metra is enormous, it still lacked the size to suck the gasses through the giant ports I made.

 3)  The use of the Puch Murray version of E50.  The clutch was a different clutch where I couldn't replace it with an aftermarket one.  The bottom plate of the clutch was not like the regular E50's clutch.  I'm sure drilling and cutting the clutch shoes might make it perform better.  But using aftermarket clutches was out of the question.

4)  The Puch Murray square clutch cover limited the front sprocket size.  Although it made the motor look unique and good, you couldn't fit anything larger than a 14(?) tooth front sprocket.  Probably with some modification it could be possible but I didn't care to try.

I never got this motor started.  It was a shame cause I made it look really good from the outside.  I used this failed attempt to successfully build my Metra Big Port motor.

Happy Tuning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment