Welcome to Moped Luau!!

Aloha!! Welcome to Moped Luau!! A blog devoted to Two-Stroke mopeds and scooters. On da menu: Puch mopeds with side order Hondas, Vespas, Yamahas, and whatevah else that go braaaaap. Get some grindz and feed your Two-Stroke face.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Blue Maxi Goes Hollywood

My Blue Maxi goes Hollywood!!  The Picture Car Captian for CBS TV series Hawaii Five O who is responsible for providing all the vehicles used on the show was looking for a moped to be used in a couple scenes in an upcoming episode.  Someone involved with the show knew of Minnow Motoworks having some mopeds.  Minnow contacted me and gave me the Captian's contact info.  I texted the Captian a couple of pics of my bikes.  He contacted me back and was interested in using my Blue Maxi.  He said it will be used in three scenes for 3 days at $200/day.  He needed it running and in good working order and able to haul a 300lbs plus rider!!!  I wasn't worried that the motor might not handle hauling that weight because I have the legendary 70cc Autisa on it.  What I was worried about was my tires blowing out.  2.25 IRC 21s are rated only for a maximum of 290lbs!!



He explained what my moped was going to be used:

Storyline:  Use as a shrimp truck delivery bike.  Character Jerry Ortega (actor Jorge Garcia, aka fat guy on Lost) is a shrimp truck delivery guy.  He witnesses a kidnapping and hops on the moped to pursue.

Scene 1:  Riding the moped through an intersection in Waikiki
Scene 2:  Close up of him in pursuit
Scene 3:  Moped as background prop at the shrimp truck

To be honest, I had no clue about the character or even the show.  Most people in Hawaii don't actually watch the show cause it poorly represents the reality of Hawaii.  If it was real, they would be using a Hondo Elite or a SYM DD50 as the deliver moped.  You almost never see Puchs running around anymore.  But it is Hollywood...

They sent a huge flatbed to pick up my lowly moped
Traveling in style
Limo service
Some pics on set.  Unfourtunetly I wasn't able to go.  Pics sent by the Captian:

Big guy ready for the chase.  That might of been a stunt man.  Scene 1?


Some friends sent me citing of the filming
That guy is huge!!!

Ready for a close up.  Scene 2?


Shrimp truck deliver bike.  Scene 2?

They strapped down that milk crate to my bike.

You starring at the Star or the background??!!
After it brief stint in the lime light, my Maxi returns:

Rode back in style

Another limo ride service for my bike.
The Captian said the bike performed perfect.  He intially had a hard time starting it.  I told him to prime the carb.  I orginally had a 20mm PHBC Dellorto carb on it but switched it out to a Bing 15mm for this shoot for its simplicity.  But I think it was under carberated for the 70cc Autisa.  But it seemed to have worked for their purposes.  I also advanced the timing for more ease of start.

When they returned the bike, everything seemed to be in working order.  I switched out the Bing 15mm back to the 20mm Dellorto.  I disassembled the head.  I discovered their was a massive head leak.  I had this problem prior to the shoot and thats why I was having problems starting it too.  Also, I could never get the jetting right because of it.  I guess the leak reared its ugly head again.  But the Autisa has so much compression that its able to run and hual that fat rider despite of a head leak and under carburation.  There goes to show how BAD ASS this old school Autisa kit is.

I'll post the clips of the scenes as soon as it airs.  Check back on this post.

Stay tuned...

** April 24, 2015 Update **

Season 5 Episode 22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment