Welcome to Moped Luau!!

Aloha!! Welcome to Moped Luau!! A blog devoted to Two-Stroke mopeds and scooters. On da menu: Puch mopeds with side order Hondas, Vespas, Yamahas, and whatevah else that go braaaaap. Get some grindz and feed your Two-Stroke face.

Friday, April 5, 2013

Disaster!!!...

Just when I got it tuned and ready for spring...DISASTER!!!

Total Meltdown!!!



My Powerdynamo stator coil completely melted!!!  I was riding around my block and then POOF...STOP...SHUT OFF...NO START...I initially thought I seized my GILA!!!  But this is just as bad.  A $90 setback!!!

Holy Crap!!!
The Carnage!!!
I suspect I overloaded the unit.  I hooked up headlight, back light, brake light, turn signals, and horn to the circuit with the 12v/70w DC regulator version and not the 12v/100w DC regulator version.  I thought I could get away with just using the 70w DC regulator but I was wrong.  An expensive lesson learned!!!

From the Powerdynamo website (in bold lettering I might add):

"The AC regulator handles maximally only 70 Watts load, even if the dynamo would generate more! 

Given the high current (and the heat generated with this) systems with this regulator imperatively need to drive always with lights on. The energy produced by the alternator has to be consumed as otherwise the regulator trying to consume it will heat up considerably, leading not only to risk of destruction of the regulator, but also the risk of fire. (Alternatively you may drive conmpletely without regulator should you not need lights. Than just keep the 2 black wires from the generator insulated (!) idle"

That's what not following direction gets me!!!  IDIOT!!!  Back to the garage...

UPDATE:

After further investigation, I now suspect my stator plate got loose and shorted on to the magneto rotor causing it to short out and burn.  This is because when I removed the rotor, one of the screws holding the plate fell out and appeared to be completely cross threaded.  Also portions of the coil sheared against the rotor and damaged some of the magnets.  Not sure how this could happen.  Lesson learned:  PUT SOME LOCTITE BEFORE INSTALLING THE PLATE!!!  Here is more information on what might of happened from the Powerdynamo website.

UPDATE #2:

After further further investigation, I think this is how it went down:  My new techno gas pipe was touching the tab on the bottom of my engine case near the magneto.  This caused the compartment to heat up.  The combination of the heat and vibration probably loosened the screw holding the grounding plate.  This in-turn caused my stator to come loose and eventually touch the magneto and short out.  LOSE MONEY all the way around.

Here is some good tips on CDI care by Tomahawk Mopeds.  I think either I'm not going to run the magneto cover from now on or mod the magneto cover for better airflow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment