Welcome to Moped Luau!!

Aloha!! Welcome to Moped Luau!! A blog devoted to Two-Stroke mopeds and scooters. On da menu: Puch mopeds with side order Hondas, Vespas, Yamahas, and whatevah else that go braaaaap. Get some grindz and feed your Two-Stroke face.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Future Meltdown Prevention

Cool but not so cool
To prevent future meltdowns of my Powerdynamo stator coil, I wanted to provide air cooling/circulation in the magneto compartment.  I didn't what to simply run the motor without the magneto cover because it would expose the magneto to outside elements.  I also prefer the overall look of the motor with the cover on.









I think my magneto cover is from a Sears Puch Murray 'square' engine.  It's made out of plastic instead of the typical metal.  It is also shaped a little different than the typical ones:


Drilled some holes.  Gave it a little style but functional patterning:


Holy Crap!!
I wanted to add some screening to prevent the outside elements from getting in.  I saw a similar mod in a Moto Champ magazine for vents on their scooter plastic panels. I bought a cheapo food strainer from a local 100 yen store:



Cut out strips of the strainer and hot glue gunned it on:

Ugly from the back...

Repainted it but kind of screwed up cause I was rushing.  I'll easily redo it in the future.  Here are the results.



Pretty in da front!!




Kakko ii na...

2 comments:

  1. Have you had any issues with the hotglue melting and coming loose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually did. The hot glue melted the top and bottom screens off because of the magneto compartment got hot. I soon removed the screen and is currently running it with just the holes. But I actually think I didn't do a good job in hot gluing it in the first place. Also the hot glue I used was the home craft type. I saw they sell an industrial type hot glue gun (Craftsman). I think those would provide a stronger plastic bond. I plan on putting the screens back on with this type of gun. Will provide an update when I do.

      Delete

Please comment