Welcome to Moped Luau!!

Aloha!! Welcome to Moped Luau!! A blog devoted to Two-Stroke mopeds and scooters. On da menu: Puch mopeds with side order Hondas, Vespas, Yamahas, and whatevah else that go braaaaap. Get some grindz and feed your Two-Stroke face.

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Honda Elite to DJ-1RR Headlight Conversion

Took on the challenge to finally convert my 1987 Honda Elite headlight to the DJ-1RR set I picked up in Japan.

Boring stock headlight
Boring...zzzzzZZZzzz
The set I originally picked up was a DJ-1R version headlight set. I really wasn't into the look.

Looked kind of fat headish
For Sale...

So I bought the much cooler DJ-1RR double headlights instead!! This sucker was a pretty rare find.

Double headlights. Clear blinkers
Sweet!!
Comparison
The butchering process. It was kind of a pain to get this on. I changed out the 87 handlebar for the ZX handlebar that my disc brake and fork came with. I modified the handlebar to make the headset fit. I hacked the headset a bit to make it fit. Wasn't pleasant but all worth it at the end.

What a mess
Initial mock-up
I wanted to keep the 87 speedo dash instead of the DJ-1R dash. I felt it was easier to convert it that way. No I got a DJ-1R dash for sale..
For Sale
I'll sale this too!!

Final results:

Finally done!!
Almost done

I had this conversion in mind ever since I bought this bike almost 20 years ago. I can't believe I finally completed this conversion. This bike is almost done. Just a ZX back rim and wing to install and I can finally close the book on this project!!

Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Please comment