Welcome to Moped Luau!!

Aloha!! Welcome to Moped Luau!! A blog devoted to Two-Stroke mopeds and scooters. On da menu: Puch mopeds with side order Hondas, Vespas, Yamahas, and whatevah else that go braaaaap. Get some grindz and feed your Two-Stroke face.

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Latest Puch No. 5 Updates: Almost There!!

Left off on this build installing the new Powerdynamo ignition unit.



Next up: Foot pegs

This is where moped purest will cringe that I'm installing foot pegs instead of pedals. I guess I'm not a purest in that sense since only one of my Puch's have pedals on them. The Hawaiian style to Puch building always was eliminated pedals off the bikes.

I opted for some generic "tombstone" foot pegs from Ebay:

Open the coffin.
"Tombstone" pegs installed.
Not a moped anymore?
Next up:  Headlight / Speedometer combo

Went with the chrome version of the CEV bullet headlight. This came off a 1970's Zundapp bike. It's a new old stock vintage part. Cost an arm and a leg too!! Unfortunately when I started it up I blew the headlight immediately. I later discovered that the bulb was only 6V. Now I got to spend another 20 bucks to replace this thing to a non-sealed beam 12V type headlight.  Money comes, money goes:

Shine on me
Shine on you
Chrome monster

View from the cockpit
View from well you can see...
Is this my good side?
Installed the speedometer cable. Had to do quite a bit of modifications to the cable in order to make it work. I cut about half the length off the original and shaved down half the thickness off the inner cable on the speedometer side. I laid some solder on the end in order to be able to shave down the thickness into a square.

Here is the results:

I need to re route the cable for a more cleaner look
Closer please!!
Now the back light. Got a cheap but cool looking bicycle light from ebay. Kind of smaller than I expected but it works. Didn't hook up the brake light to this yet. Need to figure out how to get a switch to work with that blasted Lusito levers.

Small but effected with LEDs
Perfect fit
Adjustable
One side
Other side
View with both headlight and tail light
Last on the agenda are for some fenders:

Mock up

Stay Tuned!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    What kind of lamp is there in your chrome bullet headlight? Maybe it exists in 12V?
    If you can show me the type I could have a look here in Europe where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the offer. It came with a 6v GE sealed beam headlight. A 12v version does exist but hard to find. I'm going to replace it with a non sealed version from another headlight. I'll hit you up if I need something from Europe. Send me an email for your contact info.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment