Welcome to Moped Luau!!

Aloha!! Welcome to Moped Luau!! A blog devoted to Two-Stroke mopeds and scooters. On da menu: Puch mopeds with side order Hondas, Vespas, Yamahas, and whatevah else that go braaaaap. Get some grindz and feed your Two-Stroke face.

Friday, December 20, 2019

Puch Tomos Motocross Build Story: Chapter 2

Chapter 2:
Trash to Treasure 

After an epic fail in Chapter 1, it was time to tear down the kickstart motor and go for a kit.

Tear down begins



Since I went this far I might as well continue to completely tear down the bike for paint.
Complete tear down.
Will have to take a risk and not do a test fit and run with the new motor build.  Will see if it works out at the end.
My least favorite part of a build:  Prep to paint.
Used my custom sandblaster to get to those hard to reach places.
Optimus Primed
And painted.  Used paint I had sitting on my shelf for 10 years.  It was free so I risked it.  Came out pretty good.
Painted the swing arm black with old paint too.
Primed the rims.
And painted black.
Reassembly starts.
Swing arm, shocks, and pegs on.
I think i sat on it at this point.
CAREFULLY installed the tires and tube.  3rd time a charm for the tubes cause i f#$%ed it up two times prior to this!!  Brakes and sprocket on too.
Rolling chassis.  Really digging the orange and black KTM look now.
More angles.
One more.
Fit up the rest of the plastic pieces.
Ordered a custom number plate on Amazon.
Not my straightest sticker job but 808 State is representing.
Stickerized the rest of the bike for that motocross look.
Camera One.
Camera Two.
#treatland order came in time to build the new motor.
Scope creep.
Originally was going for a front disk brake set up.  Went all drum to save money.
Motor build time.  First the clutch.  Took off some weight.  Again not going crazy on the clutch right now.  Want to break in the motor first before tuning the clutch or changing it out to a KTM clutch.
But decided to at least put a brace on it.
And kickstart springs.
Braced.
And scored.
Since my kickstart was a debacle, decided to try a pull start.  Dug up my old ZA50 pull start build
Bought a long magneto nut from #treatland and new pull starter and pawl from amazon.
Drilled out the pawl to fit the nut and used a washer to adjust the height for tolerance.
Josh gave it a quick tack job.
Filed down both sides of the pawl about 1-2mm for a perfect fit.
My holed out stock magneto cover pounded flat and targeted hole mounts for the pull starter.
Bolt on.  Total cost $11 for the pull starter and pawl; $5 for the nut.
As I eluded to I was going big on this build.  Used a Puch E50 peddle case I had.  Gave it to Josh for some weld build up.
First weld and ghetto machine down revealed some porosity.  Josh got flamed from those Instagram weld inspectors.  I thought it was fine for my use.  Nothing that JB Weld couldn't fix.
Of course Josh wasn't having it and repaired it.  Enough meat for...
As I pointed out with my logic, for me to save money on this build I would have to bring the kit size up to the carb I already had.  I had a 21mm Dellorto and a Gilardoni manifold.
What do you know...#treatland order came just in time.
Scope F#$$kin Creep!!!
Gilardoni for the win.
Before final assembly, i wanted to paint the case.
Also polished the exhaust ports and of course chamfer those transfers and ports.
Added the brush blast service to the combustion chamber too.  Gila intake matched the surface profile of the chamber.
Transmission assembly begin.  Stuffed roller bearing crank, new seals and bearings, stock bell (it might break), and lighten clutch plate (in case my pullstart fails), stock main gear.
Fit up to seal.
Came out good.
Studs on.  Oh yeah thats wrinkle finish valve cover paint found at any automotive store.
Piston pointed down.  Cylinder spacer on.
Gila on.
Ready for cover.
Went with a internal coil for cost and simplicity.  Might change it in the future.

Cylinder head on and manifold with spacer.
Pull starter on.
Motor complete.
Click bait pic.
Instagram pic.
Mounted the motor to the chassis.  Really digging the orange an black KTM look.
This side looks great too.
Digging the aggressive air filter and pull starter.
Mounted the Simonini pipe.

Looks more like a dirt bike now.
Ready to jump some dunes.
Fabbed up a cheap bracket for the pipe.
Cheap.
But works.
Pipe a little close to the left calf.  Will have to heat wrap or heat shield in the future.
Side stand on.
And cables.
Bike complete.
Stay tuned for this bike in action.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment